Community Agriculture Programs (CAP)
Direct reach to communities through walls enhancement for food nutrition, income and environment security to attain livelihood improvement.
- Agro production using Sustainable Agriculture principles , practices and pillars
- Agro marketing and market linkages
- Value addition and changing form
- Financial inclusion for Small Holder Farmers and through Self Endowed Banks Without Walls (BWWs) – Saving and Loans Schemes
- Natural Resources and management
- Water harvesting for household , livestock and irrigation
PROGRAMS AND THE SECTOR
- MALVE -Maasai Land Value Enhancement Project
- WLG – Water Livestock and Gardens project
- MFA – Mangoes From Above project
- LASCOR – Land Slide and Siltation Control and Reforestation project
- V4CP- Voice for Change Partnership Project
- Lamu Organic Cotton Project
- FOSELI- Food Security and Livelihood Improvement.
- YES-ECO – Youth Economic and Social Empowerment in the Coast
- Olempoor Borehole
- CCMI- Climatic Change Mitigation Initiative
- Kimakia Nature Conservation and Environmental Education Facility (NCEEF)
- LUSOI Hill Nature Conservation and Environmental Education Facility.
Training Conference Green Centres
SACDEP – Kenya operates cost effective training and conference centers (Ecological Centers) situated in Thika, Kimakia, Kilimambogo and Lusoi Hills. The centers are used by partnering communities and institutions to offer services like Accommodation, Seminars, and Meetings .These centers are also open to the public for organized groups like, Team building, executions and graduation parties among others.
Do not Miss this memorable experience at Our Thika facility as we remain an outstanding venue for all your training, conferences, accommodation and outside catering. This is due to the fact that it’s located in a quiet, natural environment giving you a conducive learning atmosphere. Also in the vicinity are various Velvet monkeys, fish ponds, Natural springs, Exotic trees, beautiful hedges giving green flowery scenery throughout the year. Our friendly committed team of well trained staff will ensure that, your stay at the center is worth, your security within and around is well assured, thus will give you an urge of wanting to come back again, again , and telling others about us.
With a steady first Wi-Fi, Natural friendly environment, Organic gardens around the facility and a professional work force, we do our very best to meet your service expectations. Most importantly is the fact that we are a ‘HOME OF ORGANIC PRODUCTS’. Most of our kitchen supplies are fresh organic products, sourced from within our gardens and from our partnering farmers who are well trained by SACDEP – Kenya. Our food is prepared by our well trained staff that ensures highest standards of safety and cleanliness is maintained. All this is served in our spacious dining room.
Unbelievable, choices for affordable competitive packages are available for all kind of groups on Full board, half board and day conferences. Our Accommodation has a capacity of 65 beds. All rooms are self-contained fitted with comfortable beds, Hot and Cold showers, all round Mosquito nets, bed side drawers, DSTV services, and a wardrobe among others.
The Kilimambogo facility is located along Thika-Garissa highway; this facility has full-fledged kitchen, training hall, and a dining hall. There are also well manicured ground available for hire to host social events including weddings, group parties, and graduation ceremonies among others, outside catering is also available.
The Kimakia center is located approximately 40 kilometers west of Thika Town, past Gatanga and Ndakaini Dam. This is part of the Aberdares Forest ecosystem. This Nature conservation facility is an opportunity to interact with nature, through nature walks, picnic tours, tree planting and site seeing. Our well trained chef will prepare fresh trout fish from our fish ponds that will leave you licking your fingers, other foods are also available from the Menu at the center, you will not afford to miss this exiting place.
Finance and Resources Sector
The Finance and Resources sector is one of the sectors in SACDEP Kenya. Its mandate is to ensure that funds (both internally generated and externally generated) and other resources are efficiently managed so as to improve the livelihoods of our resource limited communities as per the organization mission, vision and goal.
The sector has a staffing of 5 vibrant team members. The team is headed by the Finance and Resources Manager. The main units in this sector are as follows:
Finance and Accounting unit
This unit is responsible for book keeping, financial reporting and budget control.
The unit is charged with responsibility of procuring goods and services.
The unit receives goods ordered and ensures that they are of the right quality and quantity. The unit also issues out goods to the end users.
The sector also:
- Manages organizational assets which include Land, buildings, motor vehicles, motorbikes among others.
- Mobilizes resources internally and externally so as to increase the organizational Asset base and funding.
- Provides financial expertise to Banks Without Walls (BWWs) groups of farmers to enhance their resource management skills.
Productivity Enhancement & Outreaching
The Mandate of this Sector is to contribute to the Organizational Vision of reaching out to more needy communities through Outreach and Networking activities. This is done through:
- Reaching out to likeminded organizations, Government Institutes, Research bodies for the purpose of building synergies in our development work.
- Maintaining the current Networks that SACDEP is a member of, for the purpose of building synergies in our development work.
- Increase the Number of Partnerships with like minded Networks and Organizations that advocate for Sustainable Agriculture.
- Tap on upcoming opportunities within the Networks, National and devolved Governments. Design Projects/Initiatives for the purpose of Resource Mobilization to reach out to more communities
In order to keep abreast with Sustainable Agriculture Development globally, SACDEP collaborates actively with The Government of Kenya both at National and County Levels. It is also a leading member of technical Networks which include:-
- Participatory Ecological Land Use Management (PELUM Association). Office in Thika, Kenya
- International Federation for Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM). Office – Bonn Germany
- Kenya Organic Agriculture Network (KOAN) Office at ICIPE – Kasarani, Kenya
- World Rural Forum (WRF). Office – San Sebastian, Spain
- Slow Foods Movement. Office – Mila, Italy
- Biosafety and Biodiversity Association (BIBA). Office jointly hosted by members. Office in Thika, Kenya (Hosted by PELUM)
- African Biodiversity Network (ABN). Office Thika – Kenya.
As a result of the above, the Organization has been able to reach more communities are through designing new projects as a result of outreaching and networking activities. Further Information flow has been managed internally and externally. SACDEP has maintained most of its funding and non funding Partners through networking activities.
To deliver its key mandate on Mainstreaming Sustainable Agriculture through training and research, the sector has been moving towards developing 3 competence based technical and vocational training curricula awards in Sustainable Agriculture. Which are keyed towards addressing different areas under the Sustainable Development goals, The African agenda 2063 and also looking into how to harness within the vision 2030.
Among these are:
- Diploma in Sustainable Agriculture
- Certificate in Sustainable Agriculture
- Various Proficiency certificates in Sustainable Agriculture.